Saturday 14 June 2008

Risk management and Trading Psychology Seminar

I attended the Risk management and Trading Psychology Seminar held at the State Library of Victoria today. It was held by First Prudential Markets and the issue, along with introducing their services and CFDs in general, was trading psychology and an attitude towards risk management.
A few interesting issues I will remember
  • Trading vs. investing vs. gambling: In trading one can perform risk management and limit losses while having unlimited earning potential. With the other two vehicles this is not case. Well, I'd say that investing is somewhere in between but just more costly than trading.
  • Keep trading. I don't know if this would turn positive one day but it's true that without action there can be no results.
  • Respect the signs. Go in on green, go out on red. This goes along with one of my "rules" - watch the indicators. Don't read the newspapers to find out what is going on in the market. Watch the price and the official public news announcement.
They offer a Gymnasium - a program with low transaction costs that lasts for about two months and helps one learn how to trade. This is just what I need at the moment as the time with IG Markets Trade Sense program was too short and I was an absolute beginner. I think I lost more money than I had to just because I was raising the stakes as the fees were increasing over time.
I intend to enroll into this course after I come back from holidays. Hopefully the markets will be in a better shape by then.

No comments: