Thursday 16 April 2009

The Day I Reached My Goal

Today should be a historical day for me. It is the day I reached my goal of financial independence, according to my definition. From this day, assuming stock market does not change and currency exchange rates remain the same, I should have enough passive income to cover for my basic expenses and hence not depend on any external conditions.

But things are not that rosy, of course. Stock market is quite volatile these days and many forecast further downside moves. The same goes for Australian Dollar, which closely matches the world markets as it is a commodity currency, basically. And, the last but not the least, my initial calculations included income at 6% return. This also remains as the great unknown as the bank cash rates are at 4% mostly and earnings on mutual funds are to drop significantly this year. But we won't know until July, at least.

Still, today, according to numbers, I have reached my target. Thanks to Australian Government's economic stimulus payment, which pushed me just over the set goal.

No comments: